From scientific studies to women’s health magazines, it seems like everyone these days is talking about the benefits of meditation. However, when our lives are feeling insanely busy, it’s easy to say “I don’t have time for meditation.” But meditating for even 5 minutes can be hugely helpful. I’m not an expert in meditation, but here are some tips on what have helped me personally.
Quick Tips for Meditating on the Regular
- Set a timer on your phone for 5 or 10 minutes, so you don’t need to worry about missing the next thing on your schedule.
- Make sure the alarm has a nice sound and won’t bring you back to regular life with a jolt of panic
- Don’t worry about having racing thoughts!
- Just notice them, acknowledge them, and wave them goodbye
- Sit or lay somewhere comfortable
- It can be very frustrating to try to meditate if you’re uncomfortable
- Try different ways of meditating
- For example, you could focus on a mantra, focus on your breath, or even visualize a calming glowing light emanating from your body. (This last one sounds a bit woo woo, but it calms me down every time)
Are you a fan of meditation? What has your experience been like? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.